Erlanger Christian Church History
Erlanger Christian Church was organized in 1901 with thirty-four charter members. Rev. Edgar DeWitt Jones was the minister. The congregation met in the Town Hall on Lexington Turnpike in Erlanger. The first church building was dedicated 1904. A parsonage was built next to church on Graves Ave. in 1924.
In 1951, the congregation celebrated its fiftieth anniversary. Rev. Winston Bell was the minister. Edgar DeWitt Jones returned as guest speaker. The first phase of the educational wing was dedicated in 1956; a second phase and steeple were dedicated in 1965.
In 1976 during ECC’s seventy-fifth anniversary the original sanctuary was razed, the new (present) sanctuary and fellowship hall were dedicated.
On November 24, 1991, ECC celebrated ninety years! Rev. Roy Martin was the minister and former minister Dr. James M. Seale was the guest speaker.
The Centennial of Erlanger Christian Church was celebrated throughout 2001 beginning with one hundred hours of prayer. Special events included the sharing of memories by members from various decades, one hundred fellowship gatherings, one hundred acts of kindness, a craft fair, a centennial pictorial directory, a centennial quilt, a batik and weaving as well as inviting former minsters to preach. Dr. Peter Morgan, Directory of Disciples of Christ Historical Society was the guest speaker for the centennial service in November 2001.
“The vision of the founding membership and ministers persist and motivate ECC as we have entered our second century. The challenges may differ but the spirit and devotion to cause remain the same.” (from “A History of Erlanger Christian Church 1901-2001”).